Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Refuse to Snooze

My pal Deege over in Brussels (who will be watching the big game on Sunday starting after midnight his time) just asked me if Seattle was overflowing with excitement over making it to the Super Bowl. That would be a no. And I've been in a city that went to (and won) the Super Bowl (Washington DC, back in 1990 or so), and Seattle is positively somnambulant in comparison. This city just doesn't get overly giddy about anything, really. And this cartoon from the Seattle P-I's David Horsey and complementary cartoon by Rob Rogers of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette put it into perspective.



Perhaps this bit from a Sports Illustrated columnist will get some blood pumping up here in the Emerald City (posted on the P-I's Talkin' Hawks blog):
Okay, Seattle, grab a grande, skinny, no-foam, half-caf Espresso Macchiato and let me explain why the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to grind you up like a Sumatra blend in Super Bowl XL.

You suck at sports.
(Deege, this post is for you--I'm trying to catch the fever, really I am. BTW - we have a lot riding on this game--white chocolate Nutella-like spread from Belgium to me for a Hawks win, flavored Seattle-roasted coffee for a Steelers wing to him.)

[UPDATE - 5:30pm PST] Seattle Mayor Greg (aka, Hoss; aka, Gridlock) Nickels has announced that Seattle will show "unbounded enthusiasm" for their Seahawks on "Friday's Go Hawks Day":
“This is a great moment for all of us, whether you’ve been a Seahawks fan for 30 years or three weeks,” Nickels said. “We are all bursting with pride and anticipation. So let’s join together as a city on Friday and give the world a taste of what Blue Thunder means!”
I gotta say, I'm kinda curious (and a little scared) to learn what Blue Thunder means.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home