Monday, January 08, 2007

And Now It Can Be Told

I do a lot of work for Amazon.com (my former full-time employer, now my major freelance assigner), ranging from a whole slew of electronics to watches to bedding sets. But last fall I got an assignment request to do content for a new, super secret Amazon storefront that was to be selling shoes. I signed on to do some building of the store, but it turned into me having to write content for women's shoes. It was actually one of the harder assignments I've had to get my head around -- I mean, what the hell do I know about women's shoes!?!?! (They also serve up men's shoes, but I got a lot of low-cut ladies boots to work on.) Luckily, I was able to persevere and the stuff that I turned in was received well (thankfully). After a soft launch earlier in December, the new storefront -- called Endless -- is now up and was covered recently in an NYTimes brief:
The online retailer Amazon.com said Wednesday that it had started a shoe and handbag Web site called Endless.com to tap into the growing footwear and accessories market.

The new Web site will carry more than 250 brands for women and men, including Donald J Pliner, Enzo Angiolini, Reebok and Columbia Sportswear. It will compete with online rivals like Zappos.com, Onlineshoes.com and Shoes.com, which all offer free standard shipping and returns. Amazon’s new site offers free overnight shipping and return shipping.


The site has some nifty technology features that weren't possible to implement within the Amazon site, such as the ability to continue seeing other items from a search list while viewing an individual selection that you've just clicked on (eliminating the need to continually hit the back button to check on another item, and allowing you to continue seeing the full range of your search).

endless-screenshot

Here are a couple of examples of work that I did:

: : : : : : : : : :

Go to the Cracks in the Facade main page.

Digg! Del.icio.us!


2 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wear this shoe when you simply must call attention to your summer toes."

LOL. I can see that an assignment like this might have just killed you.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Agen said...

It really is amazing what you can pull outta your ass...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home