Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mr. Ellison Goes to Washington

This was supposed to be the big story for Wednesday involving Keith Ellison, freshman Congressman from Minnesota (who, by the by, is the first Muslim elected to Congress... and he's African-American):
While his fellow incoming freshman were attending a private White House reception with President Bush Monday night, Rep.-elect Keith Ellison had what he considered a more important appointment to keep.

"I went to the AFL-CIO reception, because I wanted to meet and greet leaders of labor, and get to know them," Ellison, D-Minn., said in an interview during a break from freshman orientation Tuesday. "Those are the people who I came here to support."

"It wasn't even a close call," added Ellison, who is replacing the retiring Rep. Martin Sabo, a Democrat. "Maybe one day I'll get to meet the president. He's the president, and I respect him in his role as the president, but I have exceedingly sharp differences with him on a policy level."

Hoo boy, snubbing the Prez. But something else got in his way--CNN's Glenn Beck:



For those of you who don't want to go through the video, here's the money quote via Media Matters:
BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I -- you know, I think it's being hijacked, quite frankly. With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies." And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.

Hooooo boy! I'll let Americablog's John Aravosis handle this:
It is not "politically incorrect" to ask a Muslim-American to "prove" that he's not a terrorist simply because he's a Muslim. It's racism and bigotry and intolerance and prejudice. It's digusting and un-American. Calling it politically incorrect only further diminishes the offense.

And Mike Boyers over at Foreign Policy's Passport:
Here's a news flash for Glenn Beck and CNN producers: Not all Midwesterners are white. And they're not all Christian, either. Also, you might try learning a thing or two about a congressman-elect before you interview him. Ellison was born in Detroit, not Mogadishu. He hasn't "integrated" into America -- he was born here.

And for the final word, Dave Neiwert (from his usually more verbose blog, Orcinus):
Me to Glenn Beck:
"What I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not fucking donkeys.'"
I'll bet my grounds for asking that question are about as good as his. Maybe better.



Digg! | Save this page to del.icio.us


1 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it seems Mr. Beck is a native Washingtonian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Beck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home