Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hollywood Death Watch

Mrs. F and I were talking last night how we never get out to movies any more, and we made a vow over the next few months to get back to the habit. But it's frankly a little hard to get up excitement for the latest Hollywood enticements, which seem to be either a computer animated story about a group of wacky animals or a horror sequel. (That said, I am looking forward to Scorsese's The Departed and The Prestige.) And it looks like the remake/sequel treadmill is still going strong. FotF HammenHead sent me this tidbit about a sequel to Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits, and El Jeffe followed with this:
Although the rumor had been lingering around for over a year now, Brian De Palma will officially begin production on a prequel to The Untouchables (Dear God, why?) this June. The Untouchables: Capone Rising will be based off a script written by Brian Koppelman and David Levien, the same duo who brought us films like Rounders, Knockaround Guys and the upcoming Ocean's Thirteen. I'm not sure why De Palma would even go near his own classic 20 years later -- I mean, is the guy struggling for material or what?

Um... yes. And after a few more fallow years, I'm sure we can expect De Palma to go the Saturday morning cartoon circuit with Untouchables Babies. But there is some good news -- Mel Gibson is turning his back on Lethal Weapon and Mad Max sequels:
In regards to Max - "They were talking about making one, I think you just watched it [referring to Apocalypto] (laughter) but, you know, I don't know. I'm gettin' a little long in the tooth for that one"

As for Weapon - "Oh no, I don't want to go there again...oh boy was that done to death."


2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger kat said...

Nothing annoys me more than lame brain Hollywood efforts to re-make other projects. Even "The Departed", as good as it is, is basically just a remake of "Infernal Affairs". Shockingly, I'm more interested in what's on television these days than what's in the movie theatres, a fact which makes me very sad.

Having said that, I've recently seen both "The Queen" and "The Last King of Scotland"---both excellent. And both, oddly enough, by the same screenwriter.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Agen said...

Ohhhh yeah -- actually, those are definitely even higher on my list. I'd forgotten about them (as I don't really know what's playing these days). And honestly, I'd rather see those two in the theater and save The Prestige and The Departed for our Netflix account.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home