Tuesday, July 04, 2006

More On Patriotism

Mrs. F and I were up in Victoria, BC this last weekend (with the Rev. Dr. Mom and Rev. Dr. Step-father), where we were treated with an outpouring of patriotism for all that is Canada thanks to our visit coinciding with Canada Day (July 1). Mrs. F and I waded through the crowds to view the wonderful fireworks show in Victoria's bay, and we got a good taste of Canadian revelry. I was struck by how much I enjoyed seeing all this love for country on display, whereas I sometimes cringe when I see the same displays of patriotic fervor in my own home nation. I even turned to Mrs. F and said that I wished I could feel the same way toward the US as did the folks who were rollerblading by and waving Canadian flags tied to their hockey sticks.

But it's hard for me to get excited about waving the flag when I know it's used to wrap up policies and politicians that go against the very core of what the United States of America was created for in the first place. And it pains me even more to see the flag used as a backdrop for the cross that is held high by hypocrites who are selective in their understanding of the teachings of the Bible and do not fully understand the meaning of freedom of religion in this country (i.e., that freedom means more than just different denominations within the spectrum of Christianity).

I've felt beaten down by the pummeling drumbeat of negativity in the news the last two months, and I needed some time to just not have to worry about the Ann Coulter wing of the Republican party telling me I'm a godless abomination because I'm a liberal with differing ideas. (Well, I might be rather godless, but my wife and mother and mother-in-law--aka, Old Fogey--certainly are not and they truly reflect the traditions of tolerance and care for others found within the teachings of Christianity that the Ann Coulter wing of the Republican party certainly does not.) I also needed to remind myself of why I was doing this blog, and why my voice even counted in a blogosphere built on redundancy.

I do, one day, want to feel as joyously patriotic about my country as the people we saw in Canada. But there's much work to do, and it's time to get back to it. I really liked what Old Fogey said in her previous post, "The truest patriotism seeks to see our nation as others see us, while working to create the country of which we dream." I'm going to take that to heart and try to muscle onward as I continue to shine a light on areas where we're falling down while also pointing to hopeful solutions.

Happy 4th to all.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home