Thursday, October 13, 2005

Spinning Out of Control

One of the first things I do each morning is thank my lucky stars that I'm not White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan. Well, maybe not. But when I see the transcript from today's press mosh pit (i.e., gaggle), I'm certainly quite thankful--that guy has a tough job being a full-time apologist for his doofus bosses and their wacky notions of governing. Daily Kos diarist BarbinMD has a great summary of it all, including these juicy bits:

Q: But, bottom line, does she have the tenacity to weather this fight?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, no, let's talk about how -- the way you're approaching things. This should be based on a person's record and qualifications...She is exceptionally well-qualified. And I would encourage you -- I know you don't necessarily want to do this -- but to look at her qualifications and record.

Q: Excuse me?

MR. McCLELLAN: I haven't seen you out there reporting about some of her qualifications and her record, and I see by the tone of your question that you want to get into some of these side issues. Let's look at the record --

Q: You divided your own party?

Q: Wait a minute --

MR. McCLELLAN: -- let's look at the qualifications.

Q: But, Scott, yesterday you yourself said that --

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not saying everybody. I'm just saying I haven't seen John report on the qualifications record. [...]

Some people want to create a different standard. And, Jim, you can sit there and shake your head, but she's exceptionally well-qualified.

Q: Wait a minute, wait a minute -- excuse me --

Q: Scott, yesterday both you and President said that it was important for --

MR. McCLELLAN: Anyone -- anyone that knows her record and experience wouldn't be making such a suggestion.

Q: Scott, yesterday, both -- yesterday the President himself said that the American --

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, some of you all wanted to focus more on religion. We focused on her qualifications and record.

Q: Scott, isn't the idea we ask the questions and you provide the answers?

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, and I was providing the answer. Can I not say what I want to say?

Q: Can you characterize --

MR. McCLELLAN: Isn't it my right to talk and say what I want to?

It's worth a whole read--that's entertainment!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home